Though bi-annual professional dental cleanings remove plaque, tartar and debris, brushing and flossing are very important to oral hygiene because proper brushing and flossing enhance the health of the mouth, makes the smile sparkle and prevent serious diseases.
Reasons why proper brushing, flossing and rinsing are essential:
- Prevention of halitosis
–Bad breath or halitosis is usually caused by old food particles on or between the teeth. These food particles can be removed with regular brushing and flossing; leaving the mouth healthier, and breath smelling fresher.
- Prevention of staining – Staining or the yellowing of teeth can be caused by a wide variety of factors such as smoking, coffee and tea. The more regularly these staining agents are removed from the teeth using brushing and flossing techniques, the less likely it is that the stains will become permanent.
- Prevention of tooth decay
– Tooth decay is one of the leading causes of tooth loss and its treatment often requires complex dental procedures. Tooth decay occurs when the acids found in plaque erode the natural enamel found on the teeth and can easily be prevented using proper home hygiene methods.
- Prevention of periodontal disease
– Periodontal disease is a serious, progressive condition which can cause tooth loss, gum recession and jawbone recession. Periodontal disease is caused by the toxins found in plaque, and can lead to serious health problems in other parts of the body. Removing plaque and calculus (tartar) from the surface of the tooth using a toothbrush, and from the interdental areas using dental floss, is an excellent way to stave off periodontal problems.
- Rinsing – Always rinse your mouth with water after brushing, and also after meals when unable to brush.